Postmodernism

Postmodernism
Seeing is not always believing and believing is more than seeing

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Producing (Old re-post)

"A Producer is nothing but a dog with a script in his mouth."

I learned something interesting watching this DVD a friend of mine has, given to her buy a producer about producing. She works at a coffe shop he frequents, and he likes her but she said he's kinda 'creepy... and sexual' but the point is he gave her a copy of "Hello, He Lied... And Other Truths from the Hollywood Trenches (AMC Program starring Linda Obst)" and it is actually really enlightening on Producing I thought...

Basically what I gather about producing* is that it is very hard and is filled with unexpeted bumps problems, choas, good luck, awesome/horrible timing, magic, disater and sometimes a movie. What you are going through now is nothing compared to what you are going to be in for once the ball starts growing... It's all about relationships, and you have to be a good sales man, excite people about the idea... LIE WHEN YOU NEED TO... you have to make people think you have gold even though your holding lead. It will either all come together... the movie gods will smile upon you... or curse you into development hell! AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooo....

Sorry I had a panic attack.

I think it sounds like you guys are not in a bad place. What has to start happening (agian in my baseless opinion) is you have to start to build a relationship with this actor, he is your new best friend and your co-worker... a tough place to be. You are his boss but he is your job, he has a lot of the power and much of your buget may be going to him, it sounds like he is the movie so...

You could be facing creative control issues, if you plan to go to a studio... get ready for that, I don't ever hear about it being an easy process... I mean once you get funding you have to make the fucking movie! You need to find a Director this actor will like who understands your vision... the movie might end up completely different than you imagine it if you are not careful... or maybe it was a good thing

It sounds to me like you are entering the realm of development... which can be a decade long process or like rolling a snow ball down the hill and a film ends up at the bottom and you win an Oscar (we can dream can't we?).

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope to learn from your experience. I am no where near ready to produce a film at the point I am at, I am just trying to sell my idea and hope it turns out well, maybe get a speaking part on it.

Some day I will produce an Oscar film... Some day I will produce an Oscar film...

Some day I will produce an Oscar film...

I tell myself that everyday.

Best!

*(I know nothing about producing but you can sure as hell bet I am going to figure it out!)

No comments: