Postmodernism

Postmodernism
Seeing is not always believing and believing is more than seeing

Monday, February 8, 2010

Review: Avatar


Dazzling. Detailed. 'Classic Cameron'. Predictable. Futuristic.

I went into this film skeptical. I had the same feeling before seeing Titanic: "Why does it take so much money to make a film?"

But then I went and saw the movie. Then I it all made sense. James Cameron may have a reputation for having an ego and for being a tyrant on set, but in the end his end justifies his means. Like him or not, you have to respect the art, the achievement.

The film is in fact quite a cinematic achievement. Film technology just keeps getting better and better, and Avatar takes the medium a big leap forward. The technology is literally opening new worlds.

Avatar is about exploring new worlds. It's about blending worlds together, and that is exactly what Cameron has done in the story and with the technology. Very clever. The imagery is beautiful to look at. The details are there, and the realism is palpable. I actually really like the whole concept of building the alien body and then inhabiting it. But the basic story of the film is very simple, timeless if not basic. I agree it is a sort of "Ferngully" but they put a twist on it. I will say, the environmentalist in me got all emotional when they blew up the tree... really got me.

I would say this film is very worthy of the Oscar for Best Picture. I used to think there were things I didn't like about James Cameron, like that you don't need to be a tyrant to get things done. But I have come to see that sometimes seeing your vision through can take time, and it can rub people the wrong way, or take ten years to make a film. But in the end that's how things get done; by forcing them along, by seeking perfection, and by keeping people and production in line. I am full of respect for people that have a vision and that follow it through. Well done, Mr. Cameron, well done.

The movie is good.

No comments: